With the heavy presence of 4K televisions in this year’s Black Friday sales we’re really hoping that this will be matched with similar discounts on soundbars to go with them. Early offers are focused on the budget models with up to 50 per cent off. A few of the popular mid-range soundbars from brands such as Roku are available with savings of over 20 per cent. So far very few of the top brands such as Sonos, Bose and Bang and Olufsen have started to appear in retailer’s sales. But we are expecting more as Black Friday and Cyber Monday gets closer.
TVs produce more detailed images than ever before, but the audio quality just hasn’t matched this leap in visual performance. With screens thinner than ever, there’s very little room for anything decent in the way of speakers. Which is where a soundbar comes in. These slim devices can easily sit under your television and provide a generous boost to the sound quality. The best soundbars can approximate a home cinema surround sound system as well. Ahead, we've rounded up the best Black Friday soundbar deals so you can enjoy top quality sound for less.
Soundbars above £200/$200
At the top end are the soundbars you want for the best possible audio experience such as the Sonos Arc and Bose Smart Soundbar. And the good news is that we’re starting to see some decent discounts in this year’s sales. There’s up to 45 per cent off the Samsung Q-series with Dolby Atmos in both the UK and the US. Another Dolby Atmos soundbar is the Yamaha YAS 209, also reduced in the UK by 25%. For US buyers, Best Buy has knocked as much as $300 off soundbars.
- Polk Audio React for £239 at Amazon
- JBL Bar 5.0 Compact Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos for £249 at Amazon
- Yamaha YAS-109 for £299.99 at Amazon
- Polk MagniFi 2 for £395 at Amazon
- Samsung HW-Q700A for £399 at Ao
- Bose Smart Soundbar 300 for £419.95 at Bose
- LG SN6Y 3.1ch 420W With DTS Virtual:X for $246.99 at Amazon
- Samsung 7.1-Channel Soundbar with Dolby 5.1/DTS Virtual:X for $279.99 at Best Buy
- Samsung HW-Q600A Q-Symphony Cinematic for $327.99 at Amazon
- Samsung HW-Q700A 3.1.2ch 330W Soundbar With Wireless Subwoofer for $379.99 at Amazon
- Bose Smart Soundbar 300 for $449 + $50 off speakers & bass at Bose
- LG 3.1.2 Channel Soundbar with Dolby Atmos for $499.99 at Best Buy
Soundbars above £100/$100
If you don’t have the budget for a higher end soundbar, you don’t have to settle. There’s a decent showing in the mid-range from brands with surround sound and cinematic setups. Plus some hefty discounts on older models have put a number of higher end soundbars into this price range. If this is your budget you'll do well in the Black Friday sales this year
- Polk Audio React for $170.99 at Amazon
- Samsung HW-A650 3.1ch 430W Dolby 5.1/DTS Virtual:X for $207.99 at Amazon
With a number of retailers dropping prices on what were once mid-range subwoofers you can get a lot of powerful features for your budget in the sale. And while you might not expect to be able to pay under £60 and get a subwoofer driver with your soundbar, it is possible during the Black Friday sales. Plus, budget ranges have had their prices reduced even further. You can even get a Bluetooth soundbar for as little as £15.99, although don't expect anything more fancy than a couple of speakers at this price.
- Roku Streambar for £99 at Very
- Hisense HS214 all-in-one for £79 at Amazon
- JVC TH-D227BA 2.0 Compact for £39.99 at Currys
- Majority Bowfell Small Sound Bar for $39.95 at Amazon
- TCL Alto 6 31.5" 2.0ch 120W for $69 at Amazon
- LG 2.1 Channel 300W with 6" Subwoofer for $149.99 at Amazon
There are a few technical details to keep in mind when trying to pick out a suitable soundbar to meet your needs and your budget. Most are easy to work out but you’ll see a lot of numbers such as 2.0, 3.1 or 5.1. The first number indicates how many channels a soundbar has. If it has two channels, it means sound is coming out of the left and the right. If it has three, there’s a centre channel that spoken words stand out more. With more ambient sound and music in TV shows, this is increasingly useful. With a five channel soundbar you get channels for adding in rear or surround sound speakers, while the newest standard has seven channels (it’s the same five channels but with audio split through surround and rear channels to make up seven).
A 1 after the decimal point indicates that the speaker either has a subwoofer or a low-frequency driver that provides a subwoofer experience. A subwoofer helps create a fuller sound that you’ll really want if you like watching action movies or listening to music through your set. If you spot a 5.1.2 or a 7.1.2 it indicates the soundbar has the wow factor of Dolby Atmos upward firing speakers, which you’ll find in the top of the range models.
That should be everything you need to ensure you have the best possible sound experience with your TV whether you are watching a movie or playing a game. If you fancy getting a new TV with your soundbar, we've also rounded up the best Black Friday TV deals here. If you're after a smaller smart speaker, you might also want to check out our best Black Friday Amazon Echo deals guide. Don’t forget to keep an eye on our Jelly Deals Twitter to get instant deals and discounts as they appear!